COAT OF ARMS
of arms, the principal part of a system of hereditary symbols dating
back to early medieval Europe, used primarily to establish identity
in battle. Arms evolved to denote family descent, adoption,
alliance, property ownership, and, eventually, profession.
I would like to thank Eddie Geoghegan from ARALTAS - the Internet Heraldry Store for his assistance in producing the final House of Dudley coat of arms, I would recommend Eddie's site and his totally professional Coat of Arms reproductions or original designs, pleasse his work at www.araltas.com
HOUSE OF DUDLEY - AUSTRALIA ARMS
The name SUTTON is of Anglo-Saxon origin, and is an English locational name from any of the places so called, widespread in England; for example, Sutton in Bedfordshire, which appears as "Sudtone" in the Domesday Book of 1086. These placenames derive from the Olde English pre 7th Century elements "suth", south and "tun", an enclosure or village, a common placename element in England. Hence, the name means "the settlement of a main village". The surname dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 (see below) while Alnod Suttuna was recorded in 1086 in Cambridgeshire in Ancient Records of Ely. The surname appears a number of times in the 1379 Poll Tax Records of Yorkshire as "de Sutton", the "de" prefix meaning "of". Interesting namebearers include Oliver Sutton (deceased 1299) bishop of Lincoln, 1280 - 1299, who joined Archbishop Winchelsey in resisting the taxation imposed by Edward 1 in 1296; Thomas Sutton (1532 - 1611) founder of the Charterhouse, London, who was thought to be the richest commoner in England; & Robert Sutton (1594 - 1668) first Baron Lexington, who fought on the side of Charles 1. Families named Sutton were granted a total of forty-nine Coats of Arms. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Ketel de Sudtone, which was dated 1086, in the Domesday Book of Lincolnshire, during the reign of King William 1, known as "William the Conqueror", 1066 - 1087.
Sutton or de Sutton was later to become de Dudley and then Dudley, when the Suttons where the barons of Dudley.
The name FOLEY is an Anglicized form of the Old Gaelic "O'Foghladha". The Gaelic prefix "O" indicates "male descendant of", plus the personal byname "Foghladha" meaning pirate or plunderer. This great sept originated in the southern Munster County of Waterford, and from there spread to Counties Cork and Kerry, where the name is particularly widespread, and ranks among the sixty most numerous surnames in Ireland. The distinguished English family of Foley, centred in Worcestershire and its surrounding counties, is believed to be of Irish origin. In his "Dictionary of English and Welsh surnames", C.W. Bardsley, M.A., states that "Foley must be looked upon as an Irish surname". Among the several notable namebearers listed in the "Dictionary of National Biography" are Thomas Foley (1617 - 1677), founder of the Old Swinford Hospital, Worcestershire (1667); Daniel Foley, professor of Irish at Trinity College, Dublin, 1849 - 1861; and John Henry Foley (1818 - 1874), sculptor, who attained international fame in his sphere. Among his public works are O'Connell, Goldsmith and Burke in Dublin, and the figure of the Prince Consort in the Albert Memorial Hyde Park. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Maoliosa O'Foley, Archbishop of Cashel, which was dated 1131, in "Medieval Ecclesiastical Records of Ireland", during the reign of Turlough Mor O'Connor, High King of Ireland, 1119 - 1156.
Foley is the maiden name of Steven's Mother.
The name McDOWELL
is recorded in many forms including MacDowall, MacDowell, McDowell,
MacDowal, MacDoual, McDugald, McDougal, McDuall, McDill, McDool, and
McCool, this is a surname of Scottish origins, which is also well
recorded in Ireland. It is a development of the pre 10th century Old
Gaelic "MacDubhghaill" from the male given name "Dubhghall",
composed of the elements "dubh", meaning black or dark, and "gall",
a stranger. It is said that this was frequently used as a nickname
for Scandinavian-Viikings, and in particular to distinguish the
darker-haired Danes from fair-haired Norwegians. The clan are
descended from Dugall, the eldest son of Somerled of the Isles, a
family described by the late Dr. Alexander Carmichael as "one of the
most unobtrusive and honoured families in Scotland". Early
recordings of the surname include: Robert M'Kowele, lord of
Karsnelohe, in Ayrshire in 1370; and Fergus Macdowylle of
Roxburghshire in 1374. Seemingly not all members of the clan were
"unobtrusive" as brothers John and Michael McDill were "respited"
for murder in 1526, although their fate is not known. They were
followers of the famous earl of Cassilis, who was making an
unsuccessful bid for the throne of Scotland. Other recordings
include Ewin M'Dougall of Dunaverty, Argyllshire, in 1647, Francis
Thomas McDougall, the archdeacon of the Isle of Wight, England in
1874, and Sir Patrick Leonard MacDoughall (1819 - 1894), a
distinguished general in the British Army. The first recorded
spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Duncan MacKowle,
the founder of the Priory of Ardchattan. This was dated 1230, in the
"Medieval Records of Argyllshire", during the reign of Alexander 11,
King of Scotland, 1214 - 1249.
The name FAY has three possible origins. The first and most usual, being a locational from a place in France called Fay, meaning 'beech tree'. The name is a slightly later introduction after 1066, it being recorded in the following century. A secondary claim is that the name was a nickname for a person thought to have supernatural qualities, again Olde French, but this time from 'fae' meaning an 'elf or fairy'! We think that more logically when this occurred the development was from a 'role name' i.e. somebody who played the part of a fairy in the medieval travelling theatres. There are a number of recordings which indicate a locational origin such as Richard de Faye in the 1242 Fees Lists of Herefordshire, whilst Margaret le Fey, who is recorded in the 1332 Pipe Rolls of Surrey, was most definitely a fairy. Finally, the name may derive from the Medieval English "fei" meaning "loyalty" and originally given as a nickname to a trustworthy person. Examples of the early church recordings include Jone Phaye, the daughter of Richard Phaye, christened at St. Botolphs without Aldergate, London on November 27th 1597, whilst on March 10th 1681 Mary Fay married James Jackson at London by civil licence. The blazon of the coat of arms granted in County Kildare, Ireland, in 1629, has a green field, a dexter arm issuant from the sinister side of the shield, and a sinister arm from the dexter, vested in silver, grasping a sword erect, the blade thrust through a dragons head couped. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Ralph de Faia, which was dated 1194, the pipe rolls of the county of Sussex, during the reign of King Richard 1st, known as 'The Lionheart', 1189 - 1199.
Fay is the maiden name of Sharan's mother.
The name BERGER has two possible origins, the first being a German and Swedish topographic name for someone who lived on or by a hill or mountain. As a Swedish surname it is often an ornamental name, one of the many formed by more or less arbitrary selection of vocabulary words referring to natural phenomena. Berger may also be an occupational name for a shepherd, deriving from the French "Berger(e)" which comes from the late Latin "Berbex", a ram. The introduction of Berger into England was due to the mass influx of French refugees fleeing from religious persecution in the late 16th Century through to the late 17th Century. On May 22nd 1692, David, son of Louis Berger, was christened at "Le Temple" French Huguenot, London and Frederick Berger was christened at St. Ann's, Blackfriars, London on December 12th 1824. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Francois Berger (witness at a christening), which was dated October 23rd 1614, French Huguenot Church, Threadneedle Street, London, during the reign of King James I of England and VI of Scotland, 1603 - 1625.
Berger is the surname of Steve's Paternal Grandmother.
The name ENDRES is the German variant of Enders which may be described as of Ancient Greek derivation, although its origins as a surname are pure middle English and probably from the London area. The surname is a dialectal form of 'Andreas', a name of great popularity which developed into 'Andrew' and became subsequently the name of the patron saint of Scotland. The name translates as 'manly' a meaning which no doubt contributed greatly to its rapid spread from its introduction by the Crusaders in the 12th century. Most popular baptismal names developed nickname forms, indeed the production of nicknames could well be described as the 'academic pursuit' of the Medieval period. It is not clear how many names derive from 'Andreas' but it is certainly into the hundreds of examples. In this case the development seems to have been from Andreas, to Andrew, and then to Andro (1399), Andrus (1510), Anders (1610) and Enders. The first 'Andreas' recordings (as a baptismal name) is in the 1086 Domesday Book, whilst it is first recorded in Scotland in 1242. Examples of the later surname recordings include Richard Ender, son of James and Judith Ender, christened at St Dunstans Church, Stepney, on July 20th 1679, whilst on October 28th 1833, John Enders married Louise Adele Elizabeth Hoffman, at St Ann's Soho, Westminster. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Moricus Andrewes, which was dated 1275, in the Subsidy Rolls of Worcester, during the reign of King Edward 1, known as 'The hammer of the Scots', 1272 - 1307.
Endres is the surname of Steven's maternal Grandmother.
The ancient and distinguished name KING belongs to that sizeable group of European urnames that were gradually created from the habitual use of nicknames. These nicknames were given with reference to a variety of personal characteristics, such as physical attributes or peculiarities, mental and moral characteristics, and to habits of dress and behaviour. The derivation, in this instance, is from the Middle English "king", ultimately from the Olde English pre 7th Century "cyning", king, used to denote someone who conducted himself in a kingly manner; one who had played the part of a king in a medieval pageant, or perhaps won the title in some contest. This surname has the rare distinction of being recorded prior to the Domesday Book of 1086 (see below). Further early recordings from England and Scotland include: Geoffrey King (Cambridgeshire, 1177); Wuluricus le King (Suffolk, 1182); and Robertus dictus King (Aberdeenshire, 1247). When found in Ireland, the surname may be either of English origin, introduced following the Anglo-Norman invasion of 1170, or of Gaelic derivation. In the latter case, King is an Anglicized form of the Old Gaelic "O'Cionga" or "O'Cingeadh" (first Anglicized O'Kinga), a family which in medieval times were seated on the Island of Inismor in Lough Ree. Robert King, second Earl of Kingston (1754 - 1799), was M.P. for County Cork in 1783, 1790 and 1798. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Aelwine se Cyng, which was dated 1050, in the "Old English Byname Register", Devonshire, during the reign of Edward the Confessor, a Saxon, 1042 - 1066.
King is the surname of Sharan's Paternal Grandfather.
The name CROMPTON, with variant spellings Crompton and Crampton, is of Anglo-Saxon (Northern English) locational origin from Crompton in Lancashire. Recorded as "Crumpton" in the 1246 Assize Rolls of that county, the name derives from the Olde English pre 7th Century "crumb" meaning bent or crooked, plus "tun", a farm or settlement; hence, "settlement by a bend in a river or road". Locational surnames were developed when former inhabitants of a place moved to another area, usually to seek work, and were best identified by the name of their birthplace. The surname was first recorded in the mid 13th Century (see below). One Richard de Crompton (witness) appears in the 1246 Assize Court Rolls of Lancashire. John Crompton of Dean, and Edward Crompton of Crompton were entered in the Wills Records at Chester, in 1554 and 1587 respectively. On June 6th 1566, William Crumpton, an infant, was christened in Winwick, Lancashire, and on April 24th 1664, Allis, daughter of Richard Crumpton, was christened in St. Nicholas', Liverpool, Lancashire. The first recorded spelling of the family name is shown to be that of Hugh de Crompton, which was dated 1130, recorded as a witness in Bains', "History of Lancashire", during the reign of King Henry 111, known as "The Lion of Justice", 1100 - 1135.
Crompton is the surname of Sharan's Maternal Grandmother
The name DUDLEY originates
from the place name Dudley, which derives from the Anglo-Saxon
Dudda's leah, meaning a woodland clearing owned or lived in by Dudda.
The family names of the Norman barons of Dudley were Fitz Ansculf
and Paganel. In the Middle Ages the Sutton family inherited the
estates and the title of Lord Dudley and gradually dropped the
Sutton in favour of Dudley as their surname. Other branches of the
family appear to have used Dudley from the start.By the Tudor period
this practice was well established and notable figures from
collateral branches of the family included John Dudley, Duke of
Northumberland, who installed the ill-fated Lady Jane Grey (who was
married to his son) as Queen of England, and Robert Dudley, Earl of
Leicester, one of Queen Elizabeth's court favourites. In 1628
Frances Sutton, heiress to the Barony of Dudley, married Humble
Ward, son of William Ward, jeweller and goldsmith to the court of
King Charles I. In 1643 Frances became Baroness of Dudley in her own
right and soon afterwards her husband was created Baron Ward of
Birmingham. Their heirs combined these two titles and became Lords
Dudley and Ward. In 1763 John Ward was created Viscount Dudley and
Ward and his grandson, John William Ward, became the first Earl of
Dudley in 1827. When he died childless the earldom became extinct
but was revived in 1860 in favour of William Ward who had inherited
the estate. The Earldom of Dudley is still held by the Ward family.
St Edward's Crown is one of the oldest Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom and the centrepiece of the coronation regalia. Named after Edward the Confessor, it has traditionally been used to crown English and British monarchs at their coronation ceremonies. The current version was made for the coronation of Charles II in 1661. In Heraldry images based on the crown are used in coats of arms, badges, logos and various other insignia throughout the Commonwealth realms to symbolise the monarch's royal authority. In these contexts, it replaced the Tudor Crown (used since 1902) in 1953 by order of Queen Elizabeth II.
It is used in the Dudley coat of
arms to show that Steven was granted a Warrant by the Chief of Army
- Australia on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen.
The Commonwealth Star (also known as the
Federation Star, the Seven Point Star, or the Star of Federation) is
a seven-pointed star symbolising the Federation of Australia which
came into force on 1 January 1901.
Blue and Gold are used in the Coat
of arms, for the mantling, crest and supports, because Blue and gold
have heraldic significance as the colour of the wreath in the
Commonwealth Coat of Arms, which was granted by royal warrant in
These colours also feature in all the arms represented on the House of Dudley Australia Arms with the exception of Foley (gold is used in the Mantling only). And they are the principle colours of the Dudley Arms.
In heraldry Or (Gold) Signifies wisdom, generosity, glory, constancy and faith, whilst Azure (Blue) Signifies loyalty, chastity, truth, strength and faith.
The supporters are two bears erect, muzzled and chained supporting a ragged staff. The bear and ragged staff have long been associated with Warwickshire, where the Dudley's held the Earldom (second creation 1547) in the mid 16th century through John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland, the 1st Earl of Warwick (1504–1553), his son John Dudley, the 2nd Earl of Warwick (c. 1527 – 1554) and finally the 2nd Earl's brother Ambrose Dudley, the 3rd Earl of Warwick (c. 1530 – 1590).
The bear features heavily in the Dudley carving in Beauchamp Tower at the Tower of London (shown below). It also featured in the arms of Robert Dudley (1532 - 1588), Earl of Leicester and favourite of Queen Elizabeth I.
The beautiful carving of the
Dudley coat of arms (shown below) is thought to have been made by
John Dudley (the 2nd Earl). John is said to have carved the coat of
arms into the stone wall when he, his brothers and father were
imprisoned there after the fall of Lady Jane Grey, wife of John’s
brother, Guildford. The carving features the bear and ragged staff
(the badge of the Earls of Warwick), the double-tailed lion rampant
(badge of the Dudley family) and a floral border with oak leaves and
acorns for Robert Dudley (Quercus robur is the Latin for English
oak), roses for Ambrose Dudley, honeysuckle for Henry Dudley (Lonicera
henryi) and Gilly Flower for Guildford Dudley. All were condemned as
traitors in 1553, but after the execution of Guildford they were
pardoned and released. John died ten days after release and Henry
was killed at the siege of San Quentin in 1557 while Ambrose became
Queen Elizabeth’s Master of the Ordinance and Robert became her
favourite, granted the title of Earl of Leicester.
The inscription reads:
DROIT et LOYAL
The motto "Droit et Loyal" is french and translates as "Just and Loyal". It has long been associated with the Dudley family, it appears to have first been adopted by John Dudley the 1st Duke of Northumberland, 1st Earl of Warwick, 1st Viscount Lisle KG, in the early 16th century. It was the motto used by Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester KG (1532–1588), younger son of John Dudley.